Starting out a travel blog is tough, hard work. You spend hours, days, and months brainstorming the perfect name, designing the website, and getting everything up and running. Afterwards, you spend even more time crafting engaging content, you agonize over the perfect post title and consistently try to find new ways to gain readers and get your blog out there. Sometimes you may question whether it’s worth all the work you are putting in and other days you can’t imagine doing anything else. You just hope that there will be people out there who will like your work.
Well this week, I have been nominated for The Liebster Award by Kate from World’s Not Waiting. It feels amazing that my work is appreciated by others. I’m very happy to accept the nomination and sincerely thank Kate!
About World’s Not Waiting
Kate’s all about stepping outside her comfort zone one adventure at a time. She’s the kinda gal who waits for no one and has gone off this year on her own solo travels to places like Costa Rica and Colorado.
What’s the Liebster Award?
It is said the Liebster Award was created to recognize and/or discover new bloggers and welcome them to the blogosphere. This award exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The word Liebster has German origins which have several definitions: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart and boyfriend. For more details check out Lorraine at Wording Well.
How it works
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and you choose to accept it, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
- thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog
- display the award on your blog
- share who’s your favourite blogger/blog
- tell 10 random facts about you
- answer the 10 questions about yourself
- nominate 5 – 10 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers and create a new list of questions for them to answer
My Favourite Travel Blog
My favourite travel blog is Goats On The Road by Nick & Dariece. Three years ago, when I was planning my trip to the Philippines, I was looking for inspiration for off the path experiences which I found on their blog. After staying in El Nido at the Cliffside Cottages at their recommendation, I was hooked.
10 Facts about me
- I’m a proud, maple syrup loving Canadian
- I’ve lived abroad in both Beijing, China and London, UK
- The most beautiful country I’ve been to is Scotland
- I think Greek food is the best in the world
- Road trips are my favourite way to travel
- I’ve been lucky enough to swim with whale sharks
- I’ve been living out of a backpack for the last 2 months. (3 more months to go till I reach civilization)
- I’m really good at getting lost when I travel. I actually couldn’t find the great wall the first day I went!
- I love eating at hole in the wall spots. The scarier looking, the tastier it will be.
- I’ve been married one year now to my lovely husband Jugo, who has gone on all my travel adventures with me for the last 4 years
10 Questions Assigned to Me
Why did you decide to start a blog?
I’ve been traveling a lot over the last four years and really like to go off the beaten track. I hope that my experiences inspire others to go beyond the main touristic attractions, take the road traveled to really explore the places, the culture, and best of all… taste new things.
What/Who inspires you to travel this world?
If it wasn’t for my husband Jugo, I’d still be living in Canada right now, working that 9:00-5:00 job and only traveling to an all inclusive resort for a week every year. Don’t get me wrong, all-inclusive resorts are nice, but there are so many other ways to travel. That’s what my husband showed me!
What is the scariest thing you have experienced while traveling?
Finding a snake in my bedroom. This may be normal in some wild area but I was living in a 10-story apartment in Beijing, China.
Name the top 3 most beautiful beaches you have visited.
Any beach in Phu Quoc, Vietnam, Nacpan beach El Nido, Philippines and Mawun beach in Koeta, Indonesia.
Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space?
The deep ocean!
If you had to pick one country to live in (not your own) for a year, which country would you pick and why?
Iceland. After living in Beijing and London (two of the largest cities in the world), it would be great to be in a place with vast open space, unpopulated, with jaw-dropping scenery.
What is the luckiest thing to have happened to you while traveling?
What started out as a rough motorcycle road trip in Indonesia with my husband turned into the luckiest experience. We were on a trip around a remote island and the bike broke down 5 times! The last time it broke, we were in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, some very nice local furniture salesmen happened to drive by shortly after. They were incredibly kind to stop and offered to mount our bike and give us a ride to the nearest village. We ended up being invited for coffee with a local family and had our bike ready to go in no time. What amazing hospitality!
Which travel destination most exceeded your expectations?
Paris. You see it in movies, people are always visiting and saying how great it is. They are right! It’s a very romantic and tasty place.
Beach or Mountains? Why?
That’s tough because I love the two together. I’ll choose beach though because that usually comes with some great seafood.
What is the best memory that you have while traveling?
Traveling SE Asia for the first time and discovering remote jungle beaches exist!
– My Liebster Award Nominees –
Questions for my Nominees
- If you could only go on one more trip, where would you go?
- What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why?
- What is your favourite movie about travel?
- Have you ever visited a place just because you saw it in a book or movie? What was that place?
- Would you rather go on a safari in Africa or an expedition in the Arctic?
- If you can take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
- What/Who inspires you to travel this world?
- What is the best memory that you have while traveling?
- Name the top 3 most beautiful beaches you have visited
- How did traveling change your life?
Phew! That’s a lot to get through! Thanks so much for reading and a big congrats to all my nominees.